Sunday, May 17, 2009

Staying Strong through Language Barriers

This is not part of the Brake Model itself but it helped me get many of the characteristics from the dimentions.
My only friend at that time watching out for me was God, he became my daily companion, and my faith in God allowed me to stay strong in the toughest moments. Well, after three months I started to think and said to myself, “If I am so afraid of talking to people I will never have friends” so I stopped being self-conscious about making a mistake or speaking wrong English. I knew if I was to build relationships with Americans that I would have to speak English and that was what I was going to do. I also knew that people would respect me for trying to learn English rather than to try and make them understand me. I needed to improve my English pronunciation and unless I tried I would never have being able to meet the people that I have established relationships to this day. So, I started to open up and try to engage in conversations and a whole new world was upon me.
I loved learning English, and I understood more than people thought. However, I would always carry a dictionary in Spanish-English and used it for many months. I had a desperate need for socializing and that pushed me forward to speak up. I tried to establish conversations and it was frustrating because I would mispronounce the words and people would not understand unless I would show them the word from the dictionary. After I would show them the word then they would reply and pronounce the word the right way, so I would always pay attention and repeated the word after them. I was always so curious and looking forward to learning something new every day. I asked people to please correct me without hesitation because that is what was going to help me improve my English. Little by little I learned to pronounce more and more words until the point I was able to converse in English with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment