My everyday life for the first three months was both frustrating and exiting. Frustrating, because I did not know how to express my thoughts in the beginning, or did not know how to behave in certain occasions, and I could not speak the language. And exiting because, my life was filled with new moments every day. Although I lived the same routine for several months, it consisted of repetitive exploration.
I would walk to the college bus station for 15 minutes, catch the bus, say only hello to the bus driver and smile at people, if people would say to me: “Hello, how are you doing?” I would not know what to answer because the only greeting I knew in English was “Hello how are you?” When the bus would get to school, I would say bye to the driver, and then walk to my classroom. Everyone seemed so different than the people of my country. Everyone, dressed, looked and acted so different. Also everybody behaved so quietly in comparison to the college life in my country. I would go into my classroom and there I was surrounded by other people who were also foreigners in the country trying to learn English, just like me. This is also where I learned about other cultures whether it was the way they dressed, facial features or the different perspectives that they had due to their own cultural beliefs, it was a melting pot of culture in one small classroom. I believe this is where Cross-Cultural Communication came into play within my learning in the U.S.
During class we all spoke with different accents and practiced our lectures. When the school day was over, I would catch the bus again, and walk my fifteen minutes home. I would then, sit for hours in front of the TV and watch videos that taught English, when I would get tired of them, I would just watch regular channels and try to catch what they were saying, which was not too much at the time. Then, I would do my homework, eat and go to bed. This was the picture of my everyday life for a few months.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment